- Prioritized health issues relative to Roseland youth ages 14 to 18;
- Conducted CBPR and IRB capacity building workshops to all partners;
- Adapted a needs assessment to administer for the “Choose Life” Youth Violence Prevention Study;
- Developed mental health resource list specific to the Roseland community;
- Adapted, administered and analyzed a Community Readiness Assessment specific to the Roseland community to assess PBR partners research readiness;
- Successfully submitted an application to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at Northwestern University which was approved;
- Obtained Memorandums of Understanding from seven partnering CPS high schools representing the Greater Roseland community;
- Conducted a poster presentation entitled “Utilizing CBPR to Address School-Related Violence in a Chicago Community” at the 2012 National American Public Health Association (APHA) Conference in San Francisco, CA.
- Hosted (2) School Partnership Luncheons for principals and administrators from the seven Greater Roseland high schools targeted for the study;
- Hosted a training for “Choose Life” Youth Ambassadors on CBPR and recruitment strategies;
- Presently hosting community “Choose Life” community awareness activities in preparation for survey dissemination.
- Awarded a two-year Implementation grant in 2013 by the Alliance for Research in Chicagoland Communities (ARCC)
“Choose Life” Research Overview: examine and address school-related violence as a health priority among Greater Roseland youth ages 14-18; gather community specific youth violence data through qualitative analysis administered to Greater Roseland community high school students; classify and prioritize the factors associated with the violence experience of these Greater Roseland Community youth; and disseminate findings to key stakeholders for broader impact through community action plans, policy development, pilot activities and contribution to the research field.
The Principal Investigators are:
|Sherida Morrison, M.A.||Virginia Bishop, MD, MPH|
|Demoiselle 2 Femme, NFP||Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine|
|Community Co-PI||Academic Co-PI|
|773-779-9371, ext. 301||312-503-2614|