As we prepare to ring in the year 2013 it would not be a surprise to anyone if this blog simply discussed ways to improve your physical health, but that would not be a true reflection of “public health” to simply highlight physical wellness. Instead focus on a holistic approach to your health and identify ways to enhance your spiritual, physical, and mental health in the new year.
To begin, create a list of goals using the S.M.A.R.T. method. Making sure your goal is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-Focused, and Time-Bound. Be intentional, creative, and realistic with your goals. Don’t list things that will be extremely difficult to attain….Take BABY steps!!
Here’s 5 healthy tips from the Center for Disease Control to keep in mind when preparing your list:
- Find health resources to help you achieve your New Year’s goals.
- Protect yourself from injury or disease by wearing a helmet, sunscreen, or insect repellent when necessary.
- Make an appointment for a check-up, vaccination, or screening. Know where to go for care if you do not have health insurance.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Learn health tips that take less than 5 minutes.
I hope my suggestions will help you in planning to build upon your new YOU!! Please leave comments or suggestions that have been helpful to you in creating and working toward your goals. I wish you all a blessed and prosperous New Year, New You!!!